Friday, March 6, 2009

Because I refuse to forget.......

Growing up I've lived in a total of four different houses. Four. Memories go back and forth between each of them of course... but what is really special is that I have one house that has been consistent through out my whole life.... a house that I have always known is there ' just in case'. Despite those four homes that do indeed hold many memories.. there is one that I have known has always been there... no matter what, times were good or bad... happy or sad... I could drive there with my eyes closed....that's how close this house is to my heart. That's why it literally kills me to even think about this particular house being packed up and moved to Oregon.... let alone talk about.. but its a reality that I have to face, one of many that I have come to terms with... that's why I am determined to not remember this house in boxes, and packing tape... but to remember it as what I've always seen it as... what it has always been there for me as.....
....here are just a few things of my Grandmas house that I will always not only admire, but cherish.. and hopefully one day pass down to the next generation in my family...
My yia-yias pink couch.. where she would warm my feet and cover me with a blanket..
The kitchen table where meals upon meals have been served at... delicious ones at that..

Yia-Yias Goose.... Yia-Yias room.... the Curtains always a glow'



The infamous chef salt and pepper shakers...


The Kitchen that I danced in when I was four.... and cooked dinner in at twenty.





The Kitchen cabinet that holds more then just dishes... but history... generations of history... that will be passed down to me...



The 5 cent Strawberry ice cream sign that hangs in the kitchen entrance of the Bay Areas finest chef....




The Mantel that has displayed the pictures of all of my Yia-Yias loved ones... Each holiday this mantel is displayed in a different theme, only a perfectionist would have it such a way....






"Yia-Yia... why in the world would you even THINK of putting a tree in your living room"... was the first thing I asked when I found out she spent a ridiculous amount of money on some sticks...did I think that her age was getting to her?.... yes I do admit that.. but little did I know that this would become one of the most unique things in her house to me.... an object that I would not only grow found of... but respect... because my Yia- Yia can turn anything into beauty.. even sticks...

When you sit on my Yia-Yias toilet... yes toilet... in front of you would be this bamboo plant that is the home to three ceramic frogs... and each time you would have to ........ take care of your business... the frogs would be in different positions.. kissing... all in line... one missing... etc.... The most unique way of bringing character to the bathroom if you ask me.....



Frog Bamboo plant.....




A country cottage window... shadowing the heater that warms this house.... a heater I was warned at an early age.."NEVER EVER TO STEP ON"... til this day I still find my self maneuvering around this heater... so that my toes don't get "burned off".



The Vogue Magazine adds that are so creatively placed into a picture frame that my Mom decided she no longer had the use for..... (It runs in the family what can I say?)



The life size pictures of my brother and I that are placard on the wall of the room my Mom now sleeps in....
1. This is only a slight clue to how much my Yia-Yia loves us.....
&
2. Its comforting to know that this is that last thing, as well as first thing my Mom sees when she falls asleep/wakes up to every morning...


In that same room hangs a Divine flower chandelier..... and a portrait of what is my Yia-Yia's newest obsession, and what I must confess is becoming somewhat of mine as well... A beautifully painted, as my Yia-Yia would say, "Neeeked" woman.....




And last but not least... the newest addition to this house that has for a lifetime of 21 years become my home.... Yia-Yia's finches.
These things.. these material things... will for ever be apart of my memory... apart of what has made me... me.

No comments:

Post a Comment