Thursday, November 5, 2009

V Photography

I've never really had any official hobbies, like a "oh yes I do this and that in my free time, and I'm so passionate about this and this" kind of hobbies. I ice skated for awhile, which didn't last because what parents in their right mind would want to fork over thousands of dollars for someone who looks like a squirmy worm on the ice, even after two years of practice? I played softball in junior high, and decided it wasn't my thing when I realized the coach used me as his last resort hitter. I scrap booked for awhile with my cousins and aunts... which honestly I don't know why I never stopped, but when it comes down to it, my passion was not gluing pictures to paper.
Last year Kris and I were in the city one morning eating breakfast in Union Square and I saw a woman with this large photography camera taking pictures of her children, her husband, random surroundings. Forget what the pictures looked like... I liked what she looked like holding the camera, using her hands to manually focus the zoom, capturing life and beaming with joy. I told Kris " I want one". Christmas came and that's exactly what he bought me. A Nikon D40, fully loaded. Honestly it scared the crap out of me. What are all these buttons? What the heck does AE- L AF-L mean? Why is this chunk of camera-ness so intimidating?!
So I started to take pictures here and there, messing around with the different buttons, testing out the AE-L AF-L functions. Its been almost a year now, and I must say... this chunk of
camera-ness and I have become great friends....I've visited a few websites, read a few books and even taught my self some pretty amazing things. I think I just found that head over heels kind of hobby that I've been searching for all my life.
I'm no professional photographer but who says that I cant become one?I am so excited to see where this will take me... maybe even a side business?
All great things sprout from practice and Patience. I am so ready for this ride.























No comments:

Post a Comment